Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!!!!!

It is Friday October 31, 2008 and I am very happy it is Halloween. Tonight I plan to hand out candy wearing my green feathered witch hat and relax.

I've been watching horror movies over the past couple of weeks in honor of Halloween and here are my reviews:

Catacombs - This one gets a big D minus from me. It is fun at first (the concept of a movie set in the catacombs below Paris is awesome) but then it just becomes an endless boring loop of watching the main character running around lost and freaked out and then it gets a little nonsensical. The ending was a bit of a surprise to me, but didn't make up for the rest at all. The singer Pink costars and in case you were wondering, yes, her character was annoying and she is a terrible actress. Not recommended.

The Messengers - Family moves to scary old house in the country and the teenage daughter and toddler son see scary stuff. The little boy in this movie was extremely cute and the acting was okay but the plot was predictable and and despite a couple of "jump" moments it just wasn't scary. Not recommended.

Grindhouse - Super fun! I really liked the seventies feel of the whole thing from the opening credits to the scratched footage to the "previews" in between. The movies had their weak points but were still lots of fun to watch and the ending of Death Proof was horrible yet also awesome. Recommended.

Waxwork - I remember loving this movie in the late eighties and when I saw it was on On Demand I had to see it again. It is way cheesier than I remember (and looks so dated now!) but it is still a pretty neat movie all the same. The concept of all the scary waxwork scenes coming to life and characters being able to enter into those vignettes is still really appealing and this movie still has lots of fans twenty years after it was released. Recommended.

No comments: