Thursday, October 25, 2007

Flipping Out



I love tv. I even like reality shows. I've totally gotten sucked into The Biggest Loser this season but that is pretty much my only reality fix at the moment. I watched more reality tv last summer and my favorite show by far was Flipping Out.

It was an awesome reality show for the following reasons:

1. Main character (Jeff Lewis) looks like an alien.
2. Jeff Lewis has OCD and is basically insane, yet he is very aware of his faults and is totally honest about them...but it still doesn't change his behavior whatsoever.
3. He has super cute pets that are loved and spoiled rotten.
4. He has funny people working for him including an assistant who bugs her eyes out all the time and looks like Elaine on Seinfeld.
5. Lots of expensive house remodeling transformations going on and lots of spending and negotiating = fun viewing.
6. Much drama resulting from problems with those transformations and money stress and problems negotiating.
7. Pretty houses and pleasant California settings.

As someone who was getting obsessive over wedding planning last summer, it was very therapeutic for me to watch Jeff Lewis freak out over onions in his sandwich and obsessively move a coffee table an inch to make it perfect. His way of expressing himself was consistently funny. Some of my favorite quotes: "Basically what I'm saying is: I don't want to party like it's my birthday, I want to sell my house." "If you fax that to me, I'm going to write 'F.U.' on it and then outline my middle finger on it and then I'm going to fax it right back." From his detailed scripts for answering the phone("It's a great day at Jeff Lewis' office...") to punishing his assistants for the most minor of infractions, watching Jeff Lewis' insanity was a good time and it made me laugh like crazy.

Nothing I'm watching these days is nearly as funny so that is part of why I miss it so much. They are supposed to be doing a second season of it so there might be more next year. Oh, I hope, hope, hope so. That show was reality tv gold!

No comments: