Thursday, July 3, 2008

I miss Jeff



He left on his big motorcycle trip today and I miss him already. I took pictures of him as he left and waved as he drove away and felt sad. So now it's just me and Sweetie for the next week and a half.

I plan to do lots of projects to keep myself busy in the meantime. But not tonight. I watched "John Waters: This Dirty World" instead. I saw him speak at the Walker a few years ago and it was great. The film was basically another lecture by him in a similar format, just telling some more stories. Some of them were pretty funny - I especially liked him telling how he likes to eavesdrop and sharing some of his favorite overheard comments. I love that kind of stuff and always try to remember those kinds of things.

I think my all time favorite eavesdropping story is from many years ago when I was riding the bus home from my job in Downtown St. Paul one day. An elderly lady got on shortly after I did and sat right up close to the driver. I could hear her talking softly and figured she was either chatting up the bus driver or simply talking to herself. Then she started to get really agitated and spoke more loudly and it became clear really quickly that she was talking to imaginary people/experiencing delusions. Suddenly she shouted, "You ruined my life and my children's and Rod Stewart's!!!!" A couple of girls sitting near me started to giggle and the lady shot them evil death glares. I looked out the window and bit my lip and tried to keep from laughing and attracting attention to myself. The lady then settled down and got off several stops before I did, thanking the bus driver nicely in a sweet little voice as she got off the bus. I never saw her again but I never forgot her funny comment.

No comments: